Maryland man sentenced to 151 months in prison for kidnapping, assault and other crimes | USAO-DC


WASHINGTON – Maryland man sentenced to 151 months in prison for carjacking and kidnapping a grandmother and 13-year-old granddaughter at gunpoint in Prince George County, Maryland , and took them to Southeast Washington, where he then assaulted and threatened others. , including a policeman.

The announcement was made by U.S. Attorney Matthew M. Graves, Wayne A. Jacobs, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Washington Field Office Criminal Division, and Robert J. Contee III, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department ( MPD).

Jamal Gilmore, 34, of Mount Rainier, Md., Pleaded guilty in July 2021, in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, to federal charges of kidnapping and possession of a firearm and ammunition by a criminal, as well as from the District of Columbia is charged with assault with a lethal weapon and assault on a police officer while he is armed. He was sentenced on November 8, 2021 by the Honorable Royce C. Lamberth. At the end of his prison sentence, he will be placed on probation for five years.

According to government evidence, the chain of events began around 8 p.m. on Saturday, May 2, 2020. The woman and her granddaughter were using a rental moving truck on Southview Drive in Oxon Hill, Md. The woman was in the driver’s seat. and the teenager in the front passenger seat. Gilmore approached the passenger side of the vehicle, brandished a semi-automatic handgun, climbed into the vehicle and asked the woman to drive or he would kill her. He took his cell phone and ordered him to go to a police station. However, she made a wrong turn and entered a parking lot at the back of a building in the 2200 block of Southern Avenue SE. The parking lot led to a dead end and Gilmore left the vehicle with the woman’s cell phone and the gun he was carrying.

At this point, Gilmore jumped a fence and ran into an apartment complex on the 22sd SE Street. He tried to access one of the apartments on the ground floor, where there were three people, including a 10-year-old child. He asked someone to open the door. As no one obeyed, he fired a shot from the front window of the apartment. No one was injured by the shooting. Two of the occupants of the apartment fled through the back window and one was injured while fleeing.

Gilmore then returned outside and signaled a policeman, knocking on the driver’s rear side window of the officer’s patrol car with the handgun he was carrying. He then fled into the hallway of another neighboring building as other MPD agents intervened at the scene. When the officers arrived, he made his way to the landing between the first and second floors. He used the gun to smash the landing glass, jumped out the window, and fell to the ground – still with the gun in his hand. Gilmore was arrested at the scene and has been detained since.

This investigation was conducted by the FBI Washington Field Office Violent Crime Task Force in partnership with the MPD and Prince George County Police. The task force is focused on identifying, investigating and prosecuting violent offenders in the Washington, DC area.

In announcing the conviction, U.S. Attorney Graves, Special Agent in Charge Jacobs, and Chief Contee praised the work of those investigating the case from the FBI Washington Field Office and the Metropolitan Police Department. They also expressed appreciation for the assistance provided by the Prince George County Police Department in Maryland. Finally, they commended the efforts of Victim / Witness Lawyer Yvonne Bryant, Paralegal Specialist Catherine O’Neal and Deputy US Lawyer Rachel A. Fletcher, Violent Crime and Drug Trafficking Section, who pursued the case.

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.