Hull thug attacked sailor at house party with glass bottle

A Royal Navy serviceman was violently attacked with a bottle at a party after violence broke out when a cheerful woman jokingly slapped him in the face.

Other brash revelers quickly got involved after the sailor and his girlfriend took offense at the antics and the frightening confrontation quickly escalated.

Trouble spilled over into the garden and the victim later needed seven stitches in hospital for a nasty injury near his eye, Hull Crown Court has learned.

Click here for the latest stories from Hull Crown Court

Kane Theakston, 22, of Grovehill Road, Beverley, admitted assaulting the serviceman, causing bodily harm, on April 17.

Prosecutor Adam Walker said the other man was on leave from the Royal Navy at the time and attended a house party.

More people arrived around 11 p.m. but the catalyst for the problems was when he was slapped in the face by a woman.

He asked her, “Why did you do that?”

Kane Theakston admitted to assaulting the sailor at the house party.

She told him that she was “playing fights” and asked him, “Can’t you take a slap from a girl?”

The man’s girlfriend started arguing with her and another man, a cousin of the first woman, joined him.

There were shoves as well as punches.

Theakston joined in and he traded punches with the Navy man.

“The fight has moved into the garden,” Mr. Walker said.

Theakston hit the man with a bottle as the sailor was attacked by others.

The victim was knocked back against a fence and, although the bottle did not shatter, he sustained an injury above his eye and later required seven stitches.

Scars had been left near his eyebrow. He also suffered bruises to his head and arms.

“It could rightly be seen as a prolonged and sustained attack,” Walker said.

Theakston also admitted that he damaged his ex-girlfriend’s cell phone on July 6 by tapping on it.

He had been convicted of 10 previous offenses, including assault causing bodily harm and assault in 2016, driving without consent in August 2019 and theft in April of last year.

Stephen Robinson, mitigating, said Theakston had behaved very badly during the incident.

Kane Theakston admitted to assaulting the sailor at the house party.
Kane Theakston admitted to assaulting the sailor at the house party.

“He didn’t start the trouble, but he very willingly joined in,” Robinson said.

“Both men were drinking way too much. The accused is sorry for his actions.”

Theakston developed a drinking problem in 2020. He hadn’t worked and had little to do during the pandemic.

He began to derail again at the end of 2020 and had been in detention since July 13.

Judge Mark Bury told Theakston: “This is an incident which has been reasonably prolonged, even though you did not set it off. You made it worse by using a weapon.”

Theakston was jailed for 15 months.

Get the latest court news straight to your inbox by signing up for updates here.

Comments are closed.